Good question. There are so many different facets of music publishing that we'll just stick with the very basics for now. First, every time a song is played anywhere (that's right, ANYWHERE, with only a few, very small exceptions) the songwriter is legally obligated to be paid performance royalties. That covers everything from radio play and film scores to basement venues and dive bars. In fact, this isn't exclusive to recordings; it includes live performances as well. If you're a musician playing in a venue and you play a song that you wrote and hold copyright to, you are entitled performance royalties. If your audience is only a few people, these amounts are very small. But, as the audience size increases, so do the royalty payments.

So who pays these royalties? That depends, but it's usually a combination of whichever organization licenses the song, like a television network or film company, and a performance rights organization, which collects royalties on behalf of copyright holders. Because each case is different, collection of royalties can be frustrating and fickle. That's where International Sock Monkey comes in.

What we do is twofold. First, we work to register the music in our portfolio with all of the appropriate performance rights organization, like ASCAP and SoundExchange, so that our artists receive the maximum possible royalty payment. Second, we are proactive in getting the songs we represent into the hands of music supervisors, videographers and other licensing professionals who need music frequently. This helps increase audience exposure and generates new licensing opportunities for our artists.

Questions? email info@internationalsockmoney.com